Employers Are Dropping Spousal Coverage, Cite Affordable Care Act Costs for Decision

Pointing to costs of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), some employers are dropping spouses from their group health plans next year.

In Mercer’s 2012 National Survey of Employer Sponsored Health Plans, which represents data from nearly 2,810 employers of all sizes, 6% of employers reported excluding spouses from coverage, and another 6% reported charging a spousal surcharge. This represents a total of 12% of employers with some type of special provision for spousal coverage, says Tracy Watts, a senior partner in Mercer’s Washington, D.C., office.

See the full story at AISHealth.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.