Humana Inc. (NYSE: HUM – News) today introduced Points of Caregiving, a comprehensive resource for the nation’s 52 million caregivers. Designed as a complete caregiver’s destination, the program includes an easy-to-use interactive website, telephonic support and customized reminders to help caregivers make decisions with confidence and to find support from peers.
Research reveals that one in five American adults, many of whom have children or other dependents, provide care to a relative, friend or neighbor. Caregivers often take on this role suddenly or unexpectedly, and frequently must make major health and financial decisions quickly for the person under their care. These new challenges and critical decisions can leave caregivers puzzled and hesitant. Humana developed the Points of Caregiving program to meet this need and to provide expert support and resources.
“Caregivers play a critical support role in the U.S. health care system and often are considered the backbone of our long-term care system,” said Gail Miller, vice president, senior product development, strategy and business planning for Humana. “With Points of Caregiving, we strive to provide a supportive, interactive community that will help informal and unpaid caregivers make the best decisions.”
Points of Caregiving is available to any caregiver, from those who perform “light” care – such as helping with shopping, transportation and cleaning – to “heavy” care, such as administering medication or injections and performing personal hygiene services like bathing. Program members receive access to a variety of tools that help support caregivers physically, emotionally and financially:
- Tools and resources, such as worksheets and cost calculators to budget and plan for care-management, easing caregivers’ minds as they estimate income changes and caregiving expenses
- Telephone consultation and support, including phone reminders members can personalize for medications, doctor’s appointments, or anything else a caregiver with a busy schedule must remember
- Library of expert articles on health, insurance, legal matters and more
- Interactive community forums where caregivers can connect with peers to receive support and advice from people in similar situations
- Information about national, state and local community resources, such as clinics, doctors and public-service agencies that can act as advocates, support and assist with care planning, which is especially helpful to people caring from afar
- Discounts on products and services that help caregivers save time and money as well as care for themselves and their dependents – such as discounted diet and exercise products, books, games, pill box with an alarm clock reminder, and more
Humana developed Points of Caregiving with its LifeSynch subsidiary; the program is available for Humana members and non-members for $20 a month with a one-year agreement ($240 a year), a cost quickly offset by the time and energy saved by the caregiver. Visit www.PointsofCaregiving.com to learn more about caregiving.
Humana Inc., headquartered in Louisville, Ky., is one of the nation’s largest publicly traded health and supplemental benefits companies, with approximately 10.4 million medical members and approximately 7.2 million specialty-benefit members. Humana is a full-service benefits solutions company, offering a wide array of health and supplemental benefit plans for employer groups, government programs and individuals.