eHealth, Inc. (NASDAQ: EHTH), the leading online source of health insurance for individuals, families and small businesses, has released data that shows that buying non-group policy may be a better alternative for some that COBRA coverage.
According to the research, the national average for individually purchased family health insurance premiums was $383. When compared to COBRA subsidy data released by Families USA on December 1, 2009, the eHealth research shows that the average family premiums of $383 is six dollars ($6) less than the average subsidized COBRA premium of $389, and $728 less than the average unsubsidized COBRA premium of $1,111.
eHealthInsurance.com encourages consumers who have lost their COBRA subsidies to explore all of their available health insurance options by taking the following actions:
1. Be proactive about seeking a long-term alternative to COBRA by researching your health insurance options at a place like eHealthInsurance.com.
2. If you’ve never purchased your own health insurance before, get help by contacting an agent or broker or by using free online resources like eHealth’s “Health Insurance Buyer’s Guide.”
3. If you have a pre-existing medical condition, contact the Foundation for Health Coverage Education at http://www.CoverageForAll.org to determine what free and low-cost health care options are available to you in your area.
4. Calculate the amount of time you have remaining on the COBRA subsidy using eHealth’s COBRA Subsidy Calendar widget.
5. If you have medical debt or need help understanding your rights, eHealth encourages you to review Families USA’s consumer guide: Your Medical Bills: A Consumer’s Guide to Coping with Medical Debt.
eHealth, Inc. (NASDAQ: EHTH) is the parent company of eHealthInsurance, the nation’s leading online source of health insurance for individuals, families and small businesses. Through the company’s website, http://www.eHealthInsurance.com, consumers can get quotes from leading health insurance carriers, compare plans side by side, and apply for and purchase health insurance. eHealthInsurance offers thousands of health plans underwritten by more than 180 of the nation’s leading health insurance companies.